Friday, September 8, 2017

I'm still thinking about parenting and parenthood. When we moved into our first "family" neighborhood, our son was six and starting school. There were neighbors with kids, and a couple with boys about his age. Nobody brought a casserole, but one mother introduced herself and said they had three boys and that their kids "are my life." I walked away from that conversation thinking, "that's never going to be me." I wanted a child or maybe even children with that man; I knew that, and the one I had was beautiful and smart and complex. I loved him completely, but he wasn't my life. He enriched my life, but he didn't define me. I had dreams and desires and goals that didn't include him, maybe in the knowledge that he would grow up and move on and have his own life, or maybe I didn't even think that far ahead. I was just selfish enough to want my own life separate from being a parent. Two years later, when he had just turned nine, we had a daughter, and she, too enriched my life/our lives, but I hung onto my life as a student and finished college, much of it while simultaneously being her mother. When she was seven, I took a full-time job and had a career that I loved that lasted until after she finished college. I'll never know how much my attitude toward parenting influenced either or both of their attitudes toward parenting; he never wanted kids and she always wanted them. And, as I have written, she has two now and parents very differently than she was parented. I would love some feedback on this post; have you looked at your attitude toward being a mother (or father)? Did you have a "style" of parenting? Did you mirror your mother's or do the opposite? Can you look back and see what your parents did/didn't do and get a handle on how that did or did not influence your decisions and attitudes about your own children? If you are a grandparent, do you watch your grown children and see that their parenting techniques are different from yours? If so, how?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I love the feedback