Sunday, December 21, 2014

After a short break...





Okay, so it's been a couple of years since I've visited my blog; clearly I'm bad at this. I need to think of it as a journal and share my pondering more often, but I suppose natural modesty creeps in and forces me to think, "Who the heck cares what you have to say?" Well, that's hardly an attitude for a budding author to have, right? 

So, in the last couple of years, I took my writing a little more seriously and finished up the one I have been living with for many, many years, Background Music. It was a tribute to several people: my college roommate, Marsha Rae, who died of stomach cancer just before her sixtieth birthday, my tireless mama, Sis, who surrendered to breast cancer, way, way too young, Patrick my BFF (male-type), and then the final kick in the pants, Judith Lee Ann (Lee to me), whose irreverent voice I hear every day. We always thought we would have more time. Background Music is about the strength of female friendships. Next, because I wasn't sure anyone would want to read that one, I just got busy and wrote a suspenseful story - Carved In Stone - about a young woman with a lifetime of tragedy who got tired of being "you poor thing," and moved away from her small town to start a new life in Asheville. Her adventures as a barista, a manuscript reader, and a solver of family secrets were fun to reveal - to me as well as to readers. I wrote another one, Separate Ways about a couple of hard-driven professionals experiencing empty nest and career choice dissatisfaction at a critical point in their marriage. It's being edited as I speak, and I look forward to adding it to the Kindle and Create Space library. I'm not thinking I'll have a third career as a well-read author; I'm just having fun doing what I love. If anyone enjoys what I've created, so much the better. 

If anyone reads this, please, please, please start a conversation with me. Ask a question, make a comment, share your opinion, anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I love the feedback